Thursday, August 17, 2006

Took the opportunity, as the weather was quite nice, to have a picnic lunch at the park yesterday. We were sitting at our usual "Rabbit Creek" when a family of four kids (eldest about 10) and two rather grumpy looking female adults also decided to be close to us. OK, no problem with that, we're not hermits (although sometimes that would be welcoming). However, they were loud and were constantly shouting, nope, yelling at the children to keep off the fishing platform ("it's not a playground"), not to explore the rather dry river bed, not to pick up sticks to play with in the river (what's left of it), etc., etc., Shouty, shouty, yell, yell, scold, scold and eventually tears from the kids. After they eventually left, dragging the kids away from their explorations, K whispered, "makes you grateful for what you've got" (me, I guess!!).

After a model horse photo session and a play in the playground, we went for a wander in the little wooded area to find some good sized twigs to make a shack for Ks dolls. K made most of the shack and I put on the roof, made from old blinds material which kept off the rain overnight! We made a little fire and K did a compost toilet with a screen for privacy. B used nails and a hammer (with some help from me) to make this wooden "A".

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting


Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting



We also came across this very large caterpillar wandering along the pathway. The kids were rather nervous of it because of its size and little hook style tale. Looked it up when we got home - a Laurel Sphinx Moth it seems. Here's the details.

2 Comments:

At 9:53 am, Blogger Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

I'm sure they will Esther. I've waited quite a while for the moment when they've asked to make things like this outside. Next it will be dens or something hopefully! Elle

 
At 1:27 pm, Blogger Irene said...

Oh I know all about "don'ts", and I hate it when I see children suffering the pressure.

I have always been told to keep my hands off dirt, sand, water colors, essentially all that is fun in a child's life. I was spotless though, more of a doll for the decor.

So first, I went to the Boy Scouts, and that freed my life long affection for Nature. (Fortunately all my mother knew was that we learn to be nice and practice good deeds. No mention of putting up tents and campfires.)

And now that with Gods' grace I have I family of my own, I do my best to avoid silly prohibitions. At first the old memories and practices were surfacing, but with patience and practice I am overcoming them.

Elle, you should be proud of what your K said. And grateful, because your efforts, are being acknowledged in the most beautiful and spontaneous way.

I love what you made with your kids. Beautiful and real.

Keep up the good work!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home