Saturday, January 19, 2008

Being kept awake at night

"How to avoid a wombat's bum, and other fascinating facts"

Got this out from the library and started reading it Friday afternoon periodically calling out funny and very interesting facts to the children as they tapped away on the PC during their "chill out" time. Friday evening Katie decided to run off with said book and hasn't given it back yet. It kept her up reading in bed until past 11 p.m. (I went to bed and left her to it). She continued this morning at breakast (from the beginning again I noticed), then on and off during the morning. It also accompanied her in the car when we went out shopping!

For those who love fascinating facts this book is a must. Although I'd only managed to read about 10 pages before it vanished from my grip, I must admit it was hard to put down. The facts are short and therefore easy to read. I give it a definite 10 out of 10.

Oh, I may as well mention that I was seriously chuffed with Katie when, during our food shop, stuck with the dilemma of buying two seperate bulbs of garlic (one to hopefully plant out, weather permitting, and one to use in cooking) or two in a bundle, I noticed out of the corner of my eye that Katie was having a serious lightbulb moment. She suddenly piped up that she'd worked out it would be cheaper to buy the two in the bundle! Yippee! Finely she's putting her maths skills to use in everyday situations, without me asking her to.

little flower

4 Comments:

At 9:47 pm, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Ella,
nice to catch up on what you are doing.
I think we will do the birdwatching too ... do they give packs only to groups or to home ed individuals, I wonder. Well, I shall find out when I ring.

Happy garlic planting.
We still find some occasionally in the garden from one year when we had a garlic glut and stuck it in the ground. It seemed to shrink rather than grow, but I think I dug it up before it had sent all its energy back down into storage!

 
At 8:22 pm, Blogger Beyondmywildest. said...

I love the garlic bulb dilemma story.

I didn't realise they could be planted, maybe we'll try that too.

 
At 9:58 pm, Blogger Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

Hi Sally,

I managed to get a schools birdwatch pack for our group and I told them we were HE, didn't seem to be a problem.

 
At 10:00 pm, Blogger Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

Hi "beyondmywildest"

We haven't tried planting supermarket garlic yet, it may not work at all! My friend found a garlic clove sprouting in her fridge, planted it outside and it seem to grow and produce. So far the ground is just too wet for growing, but I read last week that garlic must be in before end of Jan.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home