Sunday, April 27, 2008

Our week

Our week started with a social Monday, having friends at our home from 10.30 until 9.30! All got on fabulously, as usual, and with good weather, the children spent alot of time outside on the trampoline, doing horse jump courses or pretend lightsaber fighting. At one point I vexed my muscles to do wheelbarrow rides around the garden - won't do that again in a hurry, not used to the excerise!

Tried to get back to normals from Tuesday onwards but have decided to try a new tactic (which means I need to get away from the fear that they aren't learning unless "doing work"). I've decided that we should do our normal routine unless the children have started their own learning by pursuing their own interests before our "school" morning has begun. In the past I've usually broken up their own spontaneous "play" in the mornings in order to keep to some routine, letting them continue with it in the afternoons. Invariably this doesn't happen, the time has past and so has the enthusiasm. So on Friday, when Ben discovered his paper plane calendar (365 paper planes) and started making them like a man possessed, I left him to it. Katie was busy making horse tack and painting model horses so I left her to that too, and eventually she joined in the paper plane making. We looked up the history of origami and later we also tried some tangrams - so all pretty educational.
Photobucket
Tuesday seemed to be full on with our learning. Having finished these maths sheets, we have moved on to getting to grips with our times tables following this maths website . It seems quite good so far (only up to the 5s which Katie knows already but Ben still has to use his fingers to remember them). Next is the 9s, which neither of them know. After this, we started our new topic, "Our World", using the Horrible Geography book and The Usborne Geography Encyclopedia - both from the library and both shown on my side bar, and various websites like this one which we also used for our myths and legends and found to be very good. We made a cross-section of the Earth using various crafty materials and wrote some info about each section - crust, mantle, outer and inner core. We also made an edible cross-section of the Earth, which didn't look anything like what it was supposed to look like but it tasted fab!
Photobucket Photobucket
Trust me, this is the Earth!

Wednesday was spent doing our St. George play/film which is in the post below and Thursday Katie had a very comprehensive assessment at a local(ish) riding school that's been recommended to us. We all love the riding school she currently goes to in Peterborough, but our HE group schedule has changed this term and we shall in P'boro on a different day to normal which will be difficult for her riding. Also, this new place, not only being much cheaper, also runs a 2 1/2 hour stable club on a Saturday morning with training and exams, something she's longing to do. A couple of children from the village go too so she'll also get to know them better.

Weather this weekend was mostly brilliant. Lots of outdoor stuff! More trampolining (would love to post up a rather unflattering pic of P, but I'm just too nice), the swing ball has been dusted down and Billy the rabbit has spent longer than a couple of hours outdoors enjoying the warmth. Even managed an hour of reading in the deckchair this morning. Have now planted up the last of the onions, Katie's two butter bean plants and have dug over the rest of the plot ready for corn on the cob and runners. Garlic's looking great - won't be long now! After all this, I decided to start a mini-Spring clean of the house. Amazing what nice weather can do!
Photobucket
Ben did some wood sculpting.

Photobucket

6 Comments:

At 7:49 am, Blogger Lima said...

Brilliant that the kids got down to doing something educational off their own backs. Mine just pick up game boys... (rolls eyes)

Wheelbarrow rides sound fun too ;)

Lxx

 
At 1:58 pm, Blogger Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

Well, if they had it there way, my two would be on the PC 24 hours a day! Elle

 
At 9:29 pm, Blogger Big mamma frog said...

It sounds like you guys have been doing much more educational things than us! Love your ideas, how do you manage to get them to from the 'idea' stage to 'reality'? In our house we have lots of great plans, many of which never get started and most of which never get completed! Every time I come up with a new idea I can hear my kids thinking 'oh yeah, here we go again...' lol

 
At 9:45 pm, Blogger Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

Hello BMF. I was looking through my many hundreds of favourite websites stored on my PC today thinking how many of these will never be looked at, used and enjoyed! I know for sure my children are thinking much the same as yours and I have to really encourage them sometimes to do any learning. It's always a worry isn't it - should I push them more, should I leave them to their own devices? Guess we'll never get it right really, but hopefully they'll end up happy people. Anyway, we get ideas for topics, or we find a particularly good reference book to follow and then take it from there. After that I try and source fun and easy to absorb information (for my benefit as much as for Katie and Ben!) from books and internet. Lots of our project ideas don't get finished either - trust me! Elle

 
At 10:45 am, Blogger Deb said...

I've decided that we should do our normal routine unless the children have started their own learning by pursuing their own interests before our "school" morning has begun. In the past I've usually broken up their own spontaneous "play" in the mornings in order to keep to some routine, letting them continue with it in the afternoons. Invariably this doesn't happen, the time has past and so has the enthusiasm.

What a great observation! I'm not aware of breaking up one (spontaneous) learning experience in order to start another (planned) one, but after reading this, I'm going to be much more conscious of whether I'm doing it or not :-)

 
At 10:01 am, Blogger Elaine, Ellies Treasures said...

Hi Deb,
I'm still trying to stick to this, but it's quite difficult. I find some days are a little disorientated in that the children are busy but then need attention when I'm busy! We'll get there by the time they're ready to leave home I guess! Elle

 

Post a Comment

<< Home